Prof. Dr. Bruno Dillemans General, Bariatric, Oncological & Vascular Surgeon
Dr Dillemans is Chief of Staff of the Department of General Surgery at AZ Sint-Jan Brugge-Ostend AV (1200 beds), Founder and Head of the Centre of Excellence in Obesity Surgery, Founder and Head of BaroSurg, a Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery Training Institute, Laparoscopic, Bariatric, Pediatric, Vascular, Oncological, Consultant Surgeon.
Born: 27th January 1961
Department of General Surgery
AZ St.–Jan AV
- 1979- 1986: Catholic University of Leuven Graduated ‘Magna cum Laude’.
Specialisation in General Surgery:
- 1986 – 1990: Heilig Hart Hospital, Roeselare
- 1990 – 1992: University Hospitals Leuven
Super Specialisation in Abdominal and Laparoscopic Surgery:
- 1992 – 1994: Academic Hospital Groningen, The Netherlands
Since July 2011: Chief of Staff of the Department of General Surgery, AZ Sint-Jan Brugge – Oostende AV (1200 beds)
Since 1994: Staff member of the Department of General Surgery, AZ Sint-Jan 8000 Brugge – Oostende AV.
Facts & figures
- 2500 bariatric procedures a year
- 20 % conversional procedures
- Performed the first Laparoscopic
Gastric Bypasses in:
- Sultanate of Oman (Royal Hospital, Muscat) in 2006.
- United Arab Emirates (University Hospital, Al Ain) in 2005.
- Appointed as Surgeon and Centre of Excellence by Johnson & Johnson.
- Expert Surgeon in Digestive Surgery for IRCAD (Strasbourg).
- Expert in Advanced Bariatric Surgery for Johnson & Johnson.
- Expert in Advanced Laparoscopic Bariatric Surgery for Covidien.
Teaching and education
- Active participation at different teaching programs and postgraduate courses (SOSB, BGES, IRCAD) for residents and general surgeons.
- Commitment with several fellows a year to visit him and learn the skills.
- Course director of the international meeting ‘Master Class in Gastric Bypass’ in 2006.
- Dr. Bruno Dillemans is currently a visiting Professor at the International Hospital of Bahrain.
Oral presentations and invited expert
Oral and video presentations at IFSO, EAES, OESO, EUROSURGERY, IRCAD
Invited expert at following congresses:
- IFSO World Congress, Turkey, 2013.
- European and World Congress of IFSO, 2008-2012.
- AIMS Milano, 2009-2011 (See Video Interview Below).
- The International Obesity Surgery Expert Meeting, Saalfelden, Austria, 2007-2011.
- The International Thematic Days of CHL, Luxembourg, 2007, 2009.
- 1 Colchester Metabolic Surgery Symposium, UK, 2008.
- 2 General Surgery Congress, Turkey, 2007.
- 1 Laparo-Endoscopic Congress for the Middle East, Dubai, 2006.
- IFSO World Congress Turkey, 2013 – He performed surgery which was Broadcast live to hospitals & universities in 158 Countries around the globe.
- IFSO world Congress Hamburg, 2011
- AIMS Milano, 2009-2011
- Perioperative Management in metabolic surgery,Leipzig, 2011
- Echelon Flex Launch Event, 2010
- The 1st Colchester Metabolic Surgery Symposium, 2008
- 1st National Congress of the Emirates Society of laparo-endoscopic Surgeons,Dubai, 2007
- 2nd General Surgery Congress,Turkey, 2007
- BGES-SOSB, live transmission from operating theatre, 2006
- 6th International Surgical Update, Sultanate of Oman, 2006
- 3rd UAE Workshop on Morbid Obesity, UAE, 2005
- The ‘Standardization of the Lap Gastric Bypass procedure’ has been validated by publications in major medical journals.
- Co-editor of the book Bariatric Surgery, published in 2011 by Imperial College Press.
- See all scientific publications
Other Medical Activities
- In 2013 he was appointed by the judiciary of the Netherlands to inspect cases of bariatric surgery malpractice there.
- 2010 – Present: Academic Consultant University of Gent.
- 2010 – 2012: President of the BeSOMS (Belgian Section of Obesity and Metabolic Surgery).
- 2008 – 2010: Secretary General of the SOSB (Belgian Section for Obesity Surgery).
- 1999-2002 and 2002 -2005: President of the Medical Council of AZ St-Jan Brugge -Oostende AV.
- 1996-1999 and 2005-2008: Vice- President of the Medical Council of AZ Sint-Jan Brugge –Oostende AV.
- President of the ‘Commission for External Relations’, AZ Sint-Jan Brugge –Oostende AV.
- President of the Advisory Board of ‘AZ Nieuws’ en ‘AZ Link’, Belgium.
- Board Member of the BSUGI (Belgian Section of Upper Gastro-Intestinal Surgery).
- Board Member of the BGES (Belgian Group of Endoscopic Surgeons).
- Board Member of the BSAWS (Belgian Section for Abdominal Wall Surgery).
- Redaction Member of the RBSS (Royal Belgian Society for Surgeons).
Training Centre BaroSurg
Dr. Dillemans high volume centre has evolved to a Centre of Excellence as well as a Centre of Efficiency, both in conventional primary bariatric procedures as in revisional surgery. Because of the high number of applications from foreign fellow-surgeons, to work in to our centre as a trainee, Dr Dillemans decided to establish a Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery Training Institute: BaroSurg. During the training period Dr Dillemans will help bariatric surgeons to making the next step to master advanced primary and revisional bariatric procedures.
Profile of participants:
Surgeons who want:
1. To learn new standardized approaches and techniques in Primary and Revisional Bariatric Surgery.
2. To increase the efficiency of the operation room during Gastric Bypass procedures. Besides the on-site training, an E-Learning Tool will guide you through videos of several possible primary and revisional procedures, step by step. Soon you can find more information on www.barosurg.com