Professor Jan Paul Mulier
Professor of Anaesthesiology at the University of Leuven
Chief of Staff at the Department of Anaesthesiology
AZ Sint-Jan’s University Hospital, Brugge, Belgium.
Professor Jan Paul Mulier has worked as a Basic Researcher, as a Cardiac Anaesthesiologist and is now active as a Bariatric Anaesthesiologist at St Jan’s Hospital, Brugges, Belgium. He started the European society for peri operative care of the obese patients and stimulates now as ESPCOP President the clinical engagement and quality within the anaesthesiology society.
He is renowned for his close collaboration with the surgeons and his scientific work to facilitate and improve surgical work.
Besides his teaching work, international congress organizations, research and product developments he performs a large number of anaesthetics for delicate and difficult morbid obese patients. His intelligent simple and non-invasive approach allows an early and safe recovery and is frequently visited by colleagues and fellows from around the world.
- 1984 Medical degree at Catholic University of Leuven.
- 1988 Specialization in Anaesthesiology, Intensive care and Reanimation.
- 1990 MBI in Management at Vlerick management school Gent.
- 1994, PhD at Penn University Pennsylvania and Catholic University Leuven in Biomedical Research.
- 1995 Postgraduate applied economics at Catholic University of Leuven.
Experience / Positions
- 1987 University of California San Francisco Trans oesophageal echocardiography.
- 1988 Medtronic, Animal research on cardio pulmonary synchronization.
- 1990 co – founder of Desitech, inc Minneapolis.
- 1990 1994 staff member in cardiac anaesthesia at Catholic University of Leuven
- 1991 CEHA (centre for research in surgery and anaesthesia) modelling cardiac pump function.
- 1990 1993 Key consultant for Continuous cardiac output monitors at Baxter, inc Los Angeles.
- 1992 1994 Co-Founder: European NO research group.
- 1994 1995 associate professor Catholic University of Leuven.
- 1996 Chairmen of the department of anaesthesiology, AZ Sint Jan Brugges.
- 1999 founder of IPEC (international training for echocardiography).
- 2009 president of ESPCOP (European society for peri operative care of the obese patient).
- 2010 board member of ISPCOP (International society for peri operative care of the obese patient).
- ESA: European Society of Anaesthesiology.
- ASA: American Society of Anaesthesiology.
- STA: Society for Technology in Anaesthesia.
- IFSO: international federation for the surgery of the obese patient.
- ESPCOP: European society for peri operative care of the obese patient.
- ISPCOP: International society for peri operative care of the obese patient.
- SOBA: Society of bariatric anaesthesiologists.